We aim to meet the needs of each student, whether it is academic, personal, or professional. We understand that each young mind possesses unique characteristics that we hope to develop and strengthen through our Student Support Program, which provides academic and social-emotional learning support.
Southpointe's school counsellors promote and enhance the development of the whole student. Our counsellors aim to imbue healthy self-esteem, self-awareness, mental health, and a sense of responsibility to oneself and others. There are times when students of all ages are challenged and need guidance; we offer a host of resources from which they can learn and grow:
- Provide classroom instruction to develop study skills, time management, self-esteem, goal setting, diversity training, and career support.
- Support parents and families in transition.
- Provide crisis intervention and response.
- Facilitate conflict resolution.
- Support students through confidential one-on-one counselling sessions or group sessions that focus on age-appropriate strategies.
- Advocate for the academic achievement of all students.
- Support classroom teachers.
- Support teachers and families in understanding and addressing behavioural issues.
- Interpret cognitive, aptitude and achievement tests.
- Counsel and follow-up with students with a wide range of needs (academic, behavioural, etc.).
- Address the needs of all students through prevention and intervention.